Agricultural Lawyer Upholding Farmer Rights
Our team of agriculture lawyers have the experience it takes to understand the unique challenges of a sustainable agribusiness and the role farming and agricultural law plays in running an agribusiness today.
At Emerson Scott, our agriculture attorneys have extensive experience fighting for farmer rights, including helping over 10,000 rice farmers with a $750 million settlement on behalf of all U.S. long-grain rice growers for contaminated strains of rice. We actively pursue class actions to defend farming and agribusiness in the United States to keep farming profitable and sustainable for the long term. Our agricultural law team knows the ins and outs of what it takes from experience. Currently, we represent many corn producers in Arkansas and around the United States in the certified class action case against Syngenta for allegedly contaminating the US corn supply. In June, 2017 our team achieved a plaintiff’s’ verdict of $217.7 million against Syngenta for a class of Kansas corn producers. Our firm represents the Arkansas bellwether trial plaintiff who will represent the interests of all Arkansas corn producers in the next Syngenta class action trial expected this coming winter.
Often when one farm is harmed it is a sign of many other farms have likely been hurt by the same problem. We are currently working on a number of class actions on behalf of farmers who have been hurt by deceptive or harmful agribusiness practices of their seed and herbicide vendors. We are accepting new clients related to both individual cases as well as investigating larger claims that harm the farming industry to help create a long-term future for farming families in Arkansas and across the United States.
We deeply believe that agribusinesses are an important part of the economy and backbone of our country and strive to act as advocates for farming rights, defending good farming practices, and helping farms who have potentially suffered harm because of someone else’s actions.
How Our Agricultural Law Practice May Be Able to Help
We work with agribusiness clients and farm clients to help them with agriculture-related cases related to the following areas:
- Agricultural insurance, crop insurance claims, denied disaster relief payments
- Cases related to seed and grain defects, marketing claims, contracts and contamination
- Cases related to pesticides and herbicides, including injuries and illness, defective chemicals, and marketing claims
- Cases involving genetically modified crops or genetically modified and biotech seeds
- Environmental issues related to farming practices
- Agricultural marketing, including food safety and food labeling
- Property rights litigation, including land use, tenure and tenancy systems, and agricultural land and pasture leases
- Federal lands issues
- Water law and hydrology issues, including water rights, drought management, flooding issues, and cases related to the Clean Water Act
- Energy development, including wind energy and oil and gas development
- Contract disputes, including unfair agricultural production contracts
- Neighbor disputes, including herbicide drift and improper pesticide application, nuisance suits and right to farm cases
- Federal farm programs and subsidy allocations, including direct and counter-cyclical payment programs, farm program and insurance fraud cases, and USDA appeals
- Criminal law cases related to farming, including animal cruelty and criminal trespass
- Agricultural equpiment injuries and farm equipment accidents
Our Agricultural Law Firm
Emerson Scott, LLP has extensive experience fighting for farmer rights, including the class action referred to above involving Syngenta’s patented, genetically modified “MIR162” corn sold as Agrisure Viptera. We’ve also helped over 10,000 rice farmers with a $750 million settlement on behalf of all U.S. long-grain rice growers for contaminated strains of rice. We’re ready to fight for farmer rights in cases of denied crop insurance claims.
We know our role as agricultural lawyers is to ensure the voice of farmers and their families are heard and our mission is to fight to uphold rights that keep our country thriving. Our agricultural legal team knows the ins and outs of what it takes from experience. We’re also recognized as leaders in the legal industry from various legal communities.
Agricultural Attorneys Fighting for Farmer Rights
There is something you can do to save your farm
When someone has done something that damages your farm, we know that the most important thing is to defend your farming rights and make sure your agribusiness will continue for generations to come. We help agribusiness clients across America.
Most agricultural cases are federal matters, allowing you to choose a knowledgeable and experienced agriculture attorney that might not be in your state. We have experience helping farms like yours take on big corporations and know what it takes to help agribusiness owners keep their farms running. It doesn’t matter that you may be in a state different from where we have offices as we have cases from almost every state and associate with some of the best lawyers as local counsel to assist us. If we need to meet in person then our lawyers come to you!
Working with a lawyer can help you make sense of the often complex issues related to agricultural law. We offer free initial consultations at no cost to you to learn about your claim or case and find out how we may be able to help you. Often we find that more farms and businesses have been affected by the same thing harming your farm—and there’s strength in numbers. Call the attorneys at Emerson Scott, LLP today to find out how we may be able to help your farm.